If you and your partner are seeking a Jewish community to call your own, this beautiful temple is a promising choice.
As you cast your gaze upon the historic Temple Emanu-El, you can tell by the magnificent 150-foot tall dome that it draws inspiration from the renowned Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. Built in the Byzantine Revival style with traces of Mediterranean influences, Temple Emanu-El’s tiled mosaics, floor-to-ceiling windows and red-tiled roofs instantly imbue the space a sense of warmth and grandeur. After all, how could you not feel like you’re spending a summer by the sea as you wander through the courtyards lined with trees and fountains?
The history of Congregation Emanu-El and the temple begins as early as the days of the Gold Rush, when many Jews flocked to San Francisco in the hopes of beginning new lives. After a few generations of nurturing the congregation and warding off the infamous San Franciscan fires, Temple Emanu-El was finally dedicated in 1926. Arthur Brown, Jr., the architect behind the San Francisco City Hall and the War Memorial Opera House, had the privilege of designing the Temple Emanu-El as a testament to San Francisco’s vibrant Jewish community.
As you enter the main sanctuary, you are greeted by the gentle lights of the chandeliers and rainbow stained-glass adorning the spacious interior. The site of many a bar and bat mitzvahs, conversions and musical events, Temple Emanu-El makes it easy to imagine celebrating your vows with your friends and family in a fairytale wedding ceremony.
If you and your partner wish to get married at Temple Emanu-El, there are three requirements: 1) you both plan to have a Jewish home and raise your children as Jews; 2) you both enroll in an introduction to Judaism class, preferably offered by Congregation Emanu-El; and 3) you both join a synagogue.
- Website: https://www.emanuelsf.org/
- Phone Number: (415) 751-2541 x 123
- Point of Contact: Svetlana Leykin
- How far in advance do I need to book a spot for my wedding ceremony?: We recommend reserving at least six months in advance to ensure you get a desirable date.
- Estimated Cost: The rental fee ranges from $1,500 to $5,500 for ceremony and reception and includes 5 hours of event time for rental of one room and 7 hours of event time for rental of two or more rooms. Additional hours can be arranged for a fee of $300/hr to $600/hr depending on which room is rented.
NOTE: Featured image is c/o Wikipedia.org