Some wedding venues are too good to be true, so we’re happy to shine the spotlight on this iconic institution. In this post, we will be discussing why you can’t wander through Nob Hill without dropping your jaws at the sight of this Episcopal cathedral.
A progressive cornerstone of religion in San Francisco, Grace Cathedral has captured the hearts and minds of its visitors with its graceful archways, uplifting organ music and dedication to great causes. While it has recently become popular with the locals for its labyrinths, yoga classes and Beyoncé mass, the church’s storied past and stunning Gothic architecture spell out why the cathedral is such a coveted wedding venue.
The famed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. drew one of the church’s largest crowds during his 1965 visit and sermon. General Douglas MacArthur and former President Herbert Hoover attended news mogul William Randolph Hearst’s funeral at this cathedral. Grace Cathedral also counts the Dalai Lama, Bill Clinton and Helen Keller as some of its many influential visitors.
Even more noteworthy is the cathedral’s active participation in promoting awareness of homelessness and LGBT issues. The recently restored AIDS Interfaith Memorial Chapel was first dedicated in 2000 and, in 1983, Grace Cathedral opened access to its facilities to the homeless, thus creating the foundation for Episcopal Community Services.
For those aspiring to host your wedding at this historic landmark but are worried about bookings filling up fast, rest assured that you have plenty of options to choose from. Boasting an impressive seven wedding venues, Grace Cathedral is perfect for your wedding ceremony whether you want an intimate gathering in the chapels or a legacy wedding of a thousand attendees in the nave.
Additionally, while the canon law requires at least either you or your future spouse to be a baptized Christian, you do not have to belong to the church’s congregation nor be an Episcopal Christian to hold your wedding on the premises.
- Website: https://www.gracecathedral.org/
- Phone Number: (415) 421-0809
- Point of Contact: Lisa Maehata
- How far in advance do I need to book a spot for my wedding ceremony?: As far in advance as possible. While most weddings are held on Saturday, you and your spouse may be wed on weekdays subject to the calendar’s requirements. Grace Cathedral does not host weddings on Sundays nor during the month of December.
- Estimated Cost: Depending on the space you want to reserve, prices can range from $2,500 to $8,500. These packages also include several services such as preparatory counseling, accompanying organist and dressing areas. Donor discounts apply to those who have been part of the church’s congregation for at least six months.